Interview Prep Tips
Getting prepared for the interview is just as important as the interview itself. Remember, you are not only preparing to answer their questions, you are preparing to ask your own. While they determine whether you are the right fit for the program, you need to determine if the program is the right fit for you.
- Be enthusiastic and knowledgeable about the school. Thoroughly research their websites and recruitment materials.
- Even if the school you are interviewing at may not be one of your top choices, make sure that you are committed to the interview and the institution.
- Review basic lists of questions that may typically come up in a professional school interview. Practice but do not rehearse your answers. You want to be comfortable to get comfortable with an interviewing environment but your answers will still need to be thoughtful and spontaneous.
- Always listen attentively and actively. Often interviewers will give away clues of points they are looking to hear back from you. Be sure to clarify any questions or points you do not understand.
- Each interviewer you meet will be prepared with varying amounts of information from your application. Be sure that you know it thoroughly so you can clarify and expand upon all your experience.
- Bring up both strengths and weaknesses. You need to show that you can learn from every experience.
- If you were involved in a research project or publication, it is important to know it thoroughly. You may be asked to comment on the goal, techniques and results in a detailed manner.
- Dress appropriately and give your outfit a test run before you go. You want to look professional but also be comfortable.
- Relax, get a good night’s sleep the night before, and enjoy yourself. The interviewer wants to get to know you as the person you are.
We also encourage you to explore the resources for effectively preparing for interviews on the Career Services website.
Undergraduate Academic Student AffairsNatural Science Building
288 Farm Lane, Room 108
East Lansing, MI 48824 Email: email@example.com